The Core Secret:

The Core Secret: Training Isn't About Content Delivery

Most trainers fail because they think their job is to "deliver information." Wrong. Your job is to create behavioral change. This shift in mindset changes everything.

The Hidden Architecture of Effective Training

The 70-20-10 Rule (but backwards) Everyone teaches this model (70% on-job experience, 20% coaching, 10% formal training), but here's what pros know: You design your 10% training session to trigger the 70% and 20%. Your training creates the spark; the workplace provides the fuel.

The Forgetting Curve Hack Ebbinghaus proved people forget 70% within 24 hours. Professional trainers don't fight this—they design around it:

  • Pre-work that creates a "hook" (a problem they can't solve yet)
  • The training session that provides the "aha moment"
  • Post-training reinforcement at Day 1, Day 3, Day 7, Day 30

Most trainers only do the middle part. That's why their training fails.

Methods Only Pros Use

The Cognitive Load Management System Your participants' working memory can hold 4-7 chunks of information. Pros structure everything in threes:

  • Three main concepts per hour
  • Three examples per concept
  • Three practice opportunities per session

When you violate this, people's brains literally shut down. You'll see them checking phones—that's not rudeness, that's cognitive overload.

The Activation Energy Principle People won't change behavior unless the pain of staying the same exceeds the pain of change. Before teaching how to do something, you must create dissatisfaction with the current state.

I use this sequence:

  1. Have them do the task their current way (they fail or struggle)
  2. Show them the cost of their current approach (missed opportunities, wasted time)
  3. Only then introduce the new method as relief

The Retrieval Practice Secret Testing isn't for assessment—it's the actual learning mechanism. Every 12-15 minutes, I stop and have them retrieve what we just covered (no notes). This single technique doubles retention. Most trainers lecture for 45 minutes straight, then wonder why nothing sticks.

The Hidden Training Formula

Here's the structure I use for every training segment:

Hook (2 minutes): A problem, story, or provocative question that creates curiosity Anchor (3 minutes): The core concept explained with a memorable metaphor or visual Practice (5 minutes): Immediate application, even if imperfect Debrief (2 minutes): What did you notice? What was difficult? Bridge (1 minute): How this connects to their real work

This 13-minute loop is the atomic unit of training. Stack these, don't lecture.

The Psychological Tricks

The Zeigarnik Effect Exploit People remember incomplete tasks better than completed ones. I deliberately leave sessions unfinished—give them the framework but make them complete the final step back at work. This creates a "mental itch" that keeps the training alive.

Social Proof Engineering I plant 2-3 participants before the session (brief them on what's coming) who will enthusiastically engage early. Others follow. The first 10 minutes of a training session determine everything—if you lose the room early, you never get it back.

The Spotlight Effect People fear looking stupid in front of peers more than actual failure. I do three things:

  • Start with pairs/trios, never full-group sharing first
  • Normalize struggle: "This is confusing on purpose—let's figure it out"
  • I deliberately make mistakes and fix them publicly, showing that errors are part of learning

The Energy Management System

This is what separates amateurs from pros:

The Energy Curve

  • Minutes 0-15: High energy, attention is natural (use this for critical concepts)
  • Minutes 15-45: Attention drops (must insert interactive elements)
  • Minutes 45-60: Energy crashes (schedule a break or high-movement activity)
  • Minutes 60-75: Post-break surge (second-most important content)
  • Minutes 75+: Diminishing returns (only do reflection/integration activities)

I map every session on this curve before I deliver it.

The Physical State Hack When I sense energy dropping, I don't push through. I do:

  • Stand up activities (engagement increases 40%)
  • Partner discussions (they wake each other up)
  • Temperature change (I've literally opened windows mid-session)
  • Laugh breaks (humor creates neurochemical reset)

The Questions Nobody Teaches

How to handle the know-it-all: Privately before the session, I ask them to be my "quality checker"—to watch for things I might miss. This converts them from opponent to ally.

How to handle the silent participant: Don't call on them publicly. During a break, have a 1-on-1: "I've noticed you're quiet—are you processing, or is something not clicking?" Often they're introverts who need permission to participate differently.

How to handle the saboteur: Someone who's been forced to attend and radiates negativity. I acknowledge it directly: "I can tell some of you didn't choose to be here. Fair. Give me 20 minutes to prove this is worth your time. If I fail, I'll get you out early." Then I deliver something immediately useful.

The Transfer Problem (The Biggest Secret)

Here's what kills most training: people learn in the classroom but don't apply it at work. This is called the "transfer problem," and it's where 85% of training investments die.

The professional solution:

Action Learning Projects: During the training, participants identify a real work problem they'll solve using the new skills within 7 days. They report back. This forces application.

Manager Briefings: I always brief participants' managers before and after training. I tell managers: "Your people will try X. When you see it, reinforce it." Without manager support, training transfer rates drop to 15%.

Environmental Cues: I have participants create physical reminders—a sticky note on their monitor, a calendar reminder, a new template. Behavior change requires environmental design, not just motivation.

The Measurement Secret

Don't ask "Was the training good?" (everyone says yes). Ask:

  • "What will you do differently on Monday?"
  • "What obstacle will prevent you from applying this?"
  • "Who will you teach this to?"

These questions force commitment and surface barriers while you can still address them.

 

The meta-secret that ties everything together: Training is a performance, and you're the director. Every element—timing, emotion, energy, interaction—must be choreographed. The content is just the script; your job is to direct the experience that changes behavior.

 

Comments

Popular Posts