Fishbowl Technique

 This is the "Fishbowl Technique." Everyone watches you and the volunteer as if you are in a fishbowl.

Here is the script for a high-impact demo. This is designed to be performed live in front of your audience.

The Setup (Crucial)

Do not just ask "Who wants to volunteer?" (Everyone will look down). The Pro Move: Say, "I need someone who has had a really frustrating week at work. Someone who just wants 60 seconds to vent. Who needs to get something off their chest?" (You will get a volunteer immediately because you offered them a benefit: venting).

The Scenario: Tell the volunteer: "I want you to complain to me about your workload. Just be honest. Tell me how stressed you are."


Part 1: The "Autobiographical" Listener (The Bad Example)

Goal: Demonstrate the most common corporate sin—listening to reply, not to understand.

Volunteer: "I'm just drowning right now. I have three project deadlines this week, the client keeps changing the scope, and I feel like I'm the only one staying late to fix it."

You (Trainer) - Interrupting slightly fast: "Oh, I totally get that. I remember last month I had four projects due at the same time. It was crazy, I didn't sleep for two days. I actually had to call my boss and threaten to quit. It was the worst week of my life."

Volunteer: "...oh. Yeah. That sounds bad."

You (Trainer): "Yeah, it was. Anyway, you just need to manage your time better like I did."

(FREEZE THE SCENE)

Turn to the Audience: "What just happened? Did I listen to him?"

  • They will say: "No, you made it about you."

  • The Lesson: "Exactly. I hijacked his story. This is called Autobiographical Listening. I used his pain as a trampoline to launch my own story. We all do this."


Part 2: The "Looping" Listener (The Good Example)

Goal: Demonstrate the 'Looping' technique we discussed.

Instruction: tell the volunteer to say the exact same thing again.

Volunteer: "I'm just drowning right now. I have three project deadlines this week, the client keeps changing the scope, and I feel like I'm the only one staying late to fix it."

You (Trainer): (Count 1-2 seconds of silence in your head. Look them in the eye. Nod once).

You: "It sounds like you are feeling completely overwhelmed. Specifically, it feels unfair because the goalposts keep moving and you're the only one carrying the weight. Did I get that right?"

Volunteer: (Watch their body language relax) "Yes! Exactly. It’s the unfairness of it that bothers me."

You: "The unfairness. That makes sense. It's frustrating to care more than everyone else."

(FREEZE THE SCENE)


The "Pro" Deconstruction (The Teaching Moment)

Turn to the audience and break down the mechanics of what you just did. Don't let them guess; show them the machinery.

  1. The Pause: "Did you notice I didn't answer immediately? That silence signals respect."

  2. The Label: "I labeled his emotion ('Overwhelmed', 'Unfair'). I gave his feeling a name."

  3. The Loop: "I didn't offer a solution. I didn't say 'You should organize your calendar.' I just held up a mirror and showed him his own words. That is Looping."

The Hidden Trick: "The Exhale"

Ask the volunteer: "How did you feel in the second version compared to the first?"

99% of the time, the volunteer will say: "I felt like I could breathe," or "I felt lighter."

Your Closing Line: "Active Listening isn't about solving the problem. It is about lowering the other person's blood pressure so they are calm enough to solve it themselves."


Next Step: Handling the "But..."

Usually, right after this demo, a skeptic in the room will raise their hand and say: "But Dr. Chauhan, in the real world we don't have time to sit there and loop feelings. We have to get work done."

Would you like the "Judo Move" response to shut down that specific objection without being rude?

Comments

Popular Posts